Sunday, February 3, 2008

Unfairly wide

Last December, I went to the last computer show (i forgot the name) of the year on day one to get myself a new Acer 24" wide-screen LCD that was recommended by Jun Ming. It was advertised at a bargain price of $599 a couple of days before the show. Considering that other brands are going for $899 or more, this is a good steal.

I have been looking for a high resolution wide screen LCD for almost half a year to replace my 17" Philips LCD. It's always useful to have more pixel assets and frankly speaking, dual monitor display (2x 17" LCD) didn't cut it. I admit that it started off as purely indulgence but I wanted something more bad ass.

At the show, I saw a display unit of the 24" LCD and I was disappointed by it's ergonomics. It looked boxy and simply ugly. The silver rims made the 1 year old design LCD looked like a fashion dinosaur. Seldom do I condemn something over it's appearance but this one really sucks too much.


I grabbed the brochure and walked off the Acer booth in utter disappointment. As I was walking around, I spotted a new model in the brochure which looked way better. It cost $100 more but it has better specifications and design. It's still a lot cheaper than it's competition and it comes with a free Brother All-In-One printer as well. So I went back and placed a order for it as they didn't have available stock for it yet.

So 2 weeks later, the LCD landed at my place and 1 month went by. So you may wonder, why would you want to buy a 24" wide screen LCD ? That's 1920 x 1200 pixels of visual real estate.

Reason Excuse #1 : Work

Unfair advantage while doing homework. That's enough space to fit power point, photoshop and an open PDF document.


Talking about Photoshop, the ability to edit a hi-res image without scrolling so much really makes life easier.

Reason Excuse#2 : Internet

Another excuse to promote Firefox. Why settle for multiple IE windows when you can have multi-tab, split screen browsing ? Aren't you sick of a stack of unmanageable IE windows that just reads "Microsoft Internet Explorer" on your taskbar ? Get your split-screen plugin today!


This is the Piclens plugin for Firefox on a Google image search. This makes image searching really easy now. Piclens also works in Friendster and Facebook too.

Reason Excuse#3 : Games

This is a screenshot of Hellgate London in hi-res glory. Games will never be the same when you can see 350 pixels more to the left and 350 pixels more to the right compared to the 1280 x 1024 max offered by main stream 17" and 19" displays. It came with a price too. My GeForce 7600GS had a early retirement because it couldn't keep up with the stress from the extra pixels it had to render. That's all the excuse I need to upgrade to the GeForce 8800 GT 512mb.

Reason Excuse#4 : ^ Downloaded Movies

How does HD rips decompressed by the latest codec sounds ? The results can be better than DVD quality too.

Reason Lame Excuse#5 : Fish Tank

This is the only way to rear some fish without seeing any more dead fishes. All my previous fishy attempts to keep gold fishes as pets ended up with a 100% toll rate within weeks.

Ok, this is end of this obviously bragging post.

No comments: