Saturday, July 7, 2007

My Comfort Food

I read a article on Straits Times on comfort food earlier this week. Well for those who didn't know the term, comfort food is food that you eat that makes you happy.

While comfort food can be anything edible, most of the time it's junk food with little nutrient value. Most of the comfort food came into being when we were just kids. When kids like something special, and probably was deprived of it for various reasons, the food can become a special food. Enter adulthood. Now that budget is not a concern, that special food can become a comfort food. Simply eating it triggers happiness and comfort, hence the term comfort food.

Before I go on, I must make this clear that comfort food and favorite food is very different. The "want" impulse from comfort food and the emotional high is way off the charts compared with your favorite food.

And so here is my list

#1 : Pokka Melon Milk
The image “http://www.pokka.com.sg/products/images/milk1_big.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
Super ultra rare in Singapore, despite being made in Singapore. No one in Singapore wants to stock this drink. Why ??? Why ??? Sell me PLEASE !

The Pokka sales rep didn't want to sell me because I am not a business and the last time anyone stock this in quantity was Suntec Carrefour more than 2 years ago. (I swept them all off the shelves and took a cab home)

It taste really sweet and obviously artificially favoured, since it tastes nowhere natural. When I was young, the nearest place to get it was a Pokka vending machine at Thomson Plaza . It cost $1.10 a shot then, which was bloody expensive 20 years ago. Right now, the only place to get it is a vending machine at Fuji Xerox tower. Recently at a Pokka warehouse sale, I bought 3 cartons of the soon-to-be-expired goodies. Oh, it's still $1.10 now.

#2 : Nasbisco Chicken in a Biskit

245 This one is pure MSG. It's suppose to have real chicken in it, but I love it because it is a biscuit and it's sinfully laden with tons of MSG. Whenever my brain short circuits in search for a quick MSG fix, this nasty MSG power house will give me a MSG driven high faster than you can say "Watch out ! MSG will cause hair loss !" There is no need to reseal the biscuit once opened. It's going to end up as a empty box at the end of the day.

That's all for now. If there is anymore to add, I will update this post.

No comments: