Thursday, June 1, 2006

Bittorrent : The hidden cost

Bittorrent, the most preferred P2P for file-sharing aka online piracy has indeed, some drawbacks to it.

  1. Addiction
    Nobody will admit it, but a large part the people who uses Bittorrent to get their latest fixes are actually addicted to it. My colleagues, friends and family members are constantly hooked on refreshing their favoite bittorrent sites for the latest torrents for downloading.

    No longer are people searching through the internet search engines for their downloads, they are going straight for the bittorrent sites. *Advertising hint* This is not just an habit, it's definately an addiction for most. Ok, I admit that I am one of the addicted.

  2. Reduced life span of harddisks
    Last month, my 200GB HDD died with 160GB of downloads still untouched (too many to watch). Shortly after, my 80GB HDD died with 70GB of downloads, which are also, mostly untouched yet. What these 2 HDD have in common is that they are the HDD holding the massive downloads from bittorrent. I guess that the constant read and write (despite at 50mb chunk at a time) of the bittorent client has made a heavy toll on the HDD over time.

    The pyschological effects of losing 2 HDD and almost 280GB worth of data is a pain that cannot be described with words. Imagine the time spent to get find the torrents, the time waiting for the seeds to pump more bandwidth, the pain to see them go wasted before they got used, the effort spent to get the HDD repaired, purchasing of new HDD and lastly, the evitable time spent to recover some of the downloads.

    I don't care, I got the 200GB HDD repaired and bought another 300GB HDD. And I am back in business, downloading the internet.

No comments: