Friday, November 2, 2007

PSP Buying Tips

I just got a PSP recently, and it's keeping me and my sisters happy. After going through the process of buying and getting it to work, here is the FAQ for buying a PSP if you intend to do so. So you guys didn't have to go through all the sweat and pain that I encountered.


As a warning, this FAQ contains information that might brick your PSP if you are not careful, do don't blame me for your own actions.

Pspslim_malli

  1. So what to buy ?
    Buy the latest model, PSP Slim & Light. It comes in many colours and designs, starting from $250 w/o GST. Don't ever get into buying the older PSP. The new PSP is 2/3 the weight of the old model and 5mm thinner, which makes it better to hold.

  2. Can play chiong games or not ?
    Can. But you have to mod your PSP first. Unlike your Xbox 360 and PS2, you are only required to flash the ROM on your PSP. For the PSP slim, it currently version 3.71 M33. Most shops are willing to do it for $20 or you can google and DIY. It will also allow you to do a lot more with the PSP with homebrew applications.

  3. Where to get the games ? Free or not ?
    Games ? It's all over the internet via Bittorrent. For those who haven't BT before, it's time to start. There is no need to pay for any of the PSP sites which offers paid download content.There is no need to buy any UMD games to make the downloaded games work as the M33 custom firmware has a good work around for games that checks for a UMD.

  4. How many games can it hold ?
    The largest memory stick pro duo available is 4GB for around $86 from Sandisk. That's around 10 games. I got mine from Best Bargain at Sim Lim Square.

  5. Battery can tahan how long ?
    Approximately 3 to 4 hours for me.

  6. Still got accessories to buy?
    Got. Buy the screen protector. It will be worth the money sooner than you thought it would. The rest of the accessories are just crap and useless most of the time. I personally like the PSP slim without the plastic casing or silicone skin.

  7. 1 player game no fun lah
    There are many games which allows peer to peer competitive play via WiFi.

  8. Got WiFi ? Meaning can go surf net at MacDonalds ?
    I couldn't get Wireless.sg to work on my PSP because of the way it needs to store cookies on the web browser. However, normal WiFi networks work fine. The strange implementation of the PSP keyboard can be frustrating too.

  9. What else can it do ?
    You can convert a whole bunch of videos to PSP format and use it as a video player. I got a colleague who's friend used it as portable cartoon player for his kids. Loading up the kid;s favorite cartoons on the PSP seems to save him a lot of pain. For me, I installed emulators on it to play old games and some applications to spice things up.
    PSPGenesis - SEGA Megadrive emulator
    NesterJ - Nintendo emulator
    Snex9xTYL - SNES emulator

  10. Can you help me to mod, give me games, and install stuff for me ?
    No. Unless you are a chio bu, single and available.

No comments: