Friday, November 16, 2007

The lesser of 2 evils : Marshmallow Fries

I would say MacDonalds is doing an excellent job dominating children's minds with their trade mark golden fries. The happy meal will not be so happy without the little pack of fries right ?

Frenchfries
In an apparent effort to take the little kids off the oily real fries, someone came up with a healthier alterative : Marshmallows which look like fries. I found this during a trip to Suntec carrefour and it striked me of how ridiculous things are nowadays. Why can't parents just stop feeding their kids junk food like these? Marshmallows are still full of sugar, and can still give the children an urge for the real thing.

It reminded me when I was in kindergarten, that there was an old lady selling junk food next to the PAP kindergarten I was enrolled in. We were fascinated by the cigarette candy which looked like the real thing. The kids who could afford it, would sometimes buy a stick or two and put in their mouth like a smoker do. It's just mimicking the actions of some bad adult role model or plain play acting but it gives a dangerous idea that smoking is actually cool.

It's a good thing that I am one of the poor kid who couldn't afford a stick or two. And as an adult, I couldn't put myself in the position to smoke a pack or two everyday. It's a expensive and painful way to commit suicide. As the lesser of two evil analogy goes, I take death by junk food over death by smoking.

No comments: