Thursday, August 16, 2007

The great Proscar hunt

On Monday night, i popped open my small plastic container holding my Proscar supply and found a grand total of 1 dosage left in it. Yikes ! I am such a lazy ass but I don't want to lose my hair !!! For those who didn't know what's Proscar, read my older post here : When guys go bald.

To summarise the long story ...

Tuesday : I couldn't find my colleague who helped me to buy my last supply at work. So I went to my family clinic at Big Mac Centre to try my luck. It was almost midnight when I reached the clinic, so I couldn't try another clinic when I was told that the last box of Proscar could not be located.

Wednesday : Went to another family clinic near my flat. Still no luck. They don't even sell it.

Thursday : Woke up early and decide to go Johor to buy instead. I haven taken leave today for my sister's doctor appointment, so I could go after the appointment. I set off to JB at 1.30pm from Tan Tock Seng and came back to my flat at 4.30pm. Going to JB on weekday afternoon on public transport is a breeze, no jams, no nothing. Just a smooth smooth trip.

Proscar

I bought my supply from My Pharmacy near City Square at 86 Jalan Wong Ah Fook. There is a free membership that give 15% discount on prescription drugs and 10% on misc items, so I took it up ASAP since I can immediately use it on my current purchase.

Here is the maths for those interested in treating male hair loss using Proscar :

Propesia (1mg finasteride) 28 pills @ SGD$80 = SGD$2.86 per day
This is what doctors want to sell you because it makes more money.

Proscar (5mg finasteride) 30 pills @ SGD$120 = SGD$0.80 per day
Simply cut the Proscar pill into 5 pieces and you get 150 days supply at SGD$120.

Want to stretch your dollar ? Go Johor Bahru, it's near and cheaper !
Proscar (5mg finasteride) 30 pills @ MYD$195.50 (after 15% discount = SGD $86.50) = SGD$0.56 per day

That's a saving of $45 !! Not bad for 3 hours. I also bought an extra box of Proscar and pill splitter for a close friend who really need them but simply didn't have the motivation to do it. It's so sad to see him losing so much hair right now and I figure this will make a good birthday present.

Back in Singapore, while buying a expensive bottle of Bragg raw unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar at Cold Storage Causeway point, I came across this bloody expensive grape...and I though champagne grapes are expensive, this wins hands down.

Kyonogrape
Behold ! 300g of Japanese Kyono grape at $16.90 !!! ($5.63 per 100g) Champagne grapes go for $1 per 100g and your typical purple / green grapes a $0.49-$0.69 per 100g. Well they are big and round. It took me sometime to resist the temptation to pluck a grape for "testing".

No comments: