Tuesday, April 10, 2007

When guys go bald

When guys go bald

It happens to some people as we grow older, we start going bald. It happens to me. Suddenly my raging hormones stopped working the way that I am used to. The results became more and more pronounced as the years tolled by. The density of my hair started falling after my 23rd year on Terra. After dragging my feet for a couple of years, avoiding the issue isn't an option anymore. My sister, SY brought me back to my senses one more time. And thus, I decided to join my friend YE, to try a hair loss drug Propecia.

The active ingredient is finasteride, an antiandrogen which acts by inhibiting 5-alpha reductase. So what it does is to reduce production of DHT which is a key factor in male hair loss. That's right, this drug works only for guys. Ladies, you are out of luck.

Finasteride is primarily used to treat prostate enlargement and cancer. The interesting side effect of regrowing hair was discovered sometime later. The drug takes 6 to 12 months to see improvement, works until you stop taking it, and the regained hair will be lost within 6 to 12 months of stopping. The younger that you start on the drug, the better the chances. 48% of those treated with Propecia experienced some regrowth of hair, and 42% had no further loss. That's 90% already. I don't know what happens to the other 10% but I am not even 30, so my chances is good.

I went on Propecia (1mg Finasteride) for 2 months, paying $80 for 28 pills before a colleague, JF, told me a more economical solution to my hair problem. The original drug, marketed as Proscar (5mg Finasteride) is sold for $120 for 30 pills. Since the dosage required for hair treatment is 20% of Proscar, we can go overdose a bit by buying Proscar and cutting each pill into 4 with a pill splitter. This effectively turns the 30 pill Proscar into 120 doses of Propecia ! This translates into a effective dosage cost at $1 per day compared with $2.86 per day for Propecia ! My colleague now sports a full crown of hair !!!

The same nasty company that tried to rip us all off with a lifestyle drug gave us the original drug at 1/3 the cost !!! At least they are kind enough to do that.

It's sold at prescription at your favorite doctor, so my dear friends who are still wondering what to do, get your ass moving and try this drug ! Enjoy this great deal and the rare public service by the otherwise nasty grumpy man.

No comments: