Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Collateral damage

While doing my job as a all-in-one IT guy, there are so many times that I had came across issues which I could have make my own life easier by letting them go but didn't. It involves rubbing salt into old and fresh wounds, opening cans of worms and Pandora boxes, stepping on toes, jumping over people's heads, crossing hostile territories and getting death threats.

Ok I admit that I am making up the last one. Anyway, the benefits are there for the organisation to reap while I siphon some cash in return, making it a fair trade. But playing the devil with good intentions does require human sacrifices. I prefer to call them collateral damage, which could range from the lightest form as extra work for people, making people look bad to making people disappear.

Lately I claimed my latest victim, who was caught red handed in the cookie jar, and will end up exiting the organisation in shame. What did I gained? Nothing much except some extra work and the satisfaction of tasting blood. How about the organisation? Well this latest exploit bought them a few more weeks of time to drag their feet to get things done through the slow moving bureaucracy.

I am sure during the course my career in the organisation, more people will be crucified and sacrificed in the pursue of the betterment of the organisation .. and myself.

Next time, be wary of the IT guy next to you. You have been warned.

No comments: